Monday, 2 January 2012

Flu...New Year's style

I was sure that Boy Oneder's three day fever and mild illness at the beginning of December would be our only sickness of fall/winter, 2011. And it OH so nearly was. But....

Hubster and I headed out onNew Year's Eve to pick up Japanese food to bring home to the kids. All was well until about half an hour after dinner. When I say "suddenly", I truly mean like within minutes...Suddenly, I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck. My head started to pound, my stomach started to hurt and I felt so weak. I had complained earlier in the day to Hubster about a backache. In the middle of my back, on both sides, it really ached. But I figured I had slept funny or something.

I took my temperature once I started feeling so badly and it was surprisingly normal. I really felt that foggy feeling that only a fever brings. I suddenly (there's that word again) felt freezing and while Hubster played cards with the boys, I laid on the couch, wrapped in a blanket, shivering. I wanted nothing more than to just go to bed, but it was only 6:30 on New Year's could I be a party pooper for my boys??? Ugh...

So, because I am an excellent mother, ;) I stayed and suffered on the couch all night, all the while, fighting heartburn, terrible stomach and head aches and muscle pain in places I didn't even know I had them!

By the grace of God, midnight FINALLY arrived and Hubster popped the bottle of sparkling wine. He poured a sip in each of our glasses and we toasted 2012. I immediately headed to bed. I tucked the boys in and literally fell into my bed.

I tossed and turned all night and woke up in the morning feeling like I had run a marathon. The aches and pains through my back, legs, arms, neck....were almost unbearable. I did a load of laundry and tried to get some tidying done, but the fatigue stopped me. I took a shower and laid on the couch until it was time to head to Mom's for dinner.

Mommy said she would take care of me when I got there and she did. She made an awesome roast dinner (funnily enough, I have a huge appetite through this whole illness). Hubster was amazing and kept the boys occupied in the basement while I dozed on Mom's couch. My eyes were on fire and I felt worse than ever. By now, I *knew* I was fevered. Mom's thermometer was clearly not working when it read 96.3. Sigh.

We headed home at about 9:00 and as soon as I got home, I checked my temp...100.9. Not high, but there. I took Advil and made a cup of green tea and headed to bed. I was up most of the night, first freezing, then burning up. My fever fluctuated between 100 and 101 all night. This morning, I was still fevered, still achy and still so tired I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. My amazing Hubster took care of the boys all day and I haven't had to get up at all, except to use the washroom or get something to eat. My fever steadily rose throughout the day and at 5:45, it was 101 again, so I took a dose of Advil. I am feeling a bit better now that the Advil has kicked in, but just walking down the stairs to get a glass of water knocks me out!

I'm praying that I am on the mend now and that the worst is over. The only other time I remember feeling this bad was when I had mastitis!!! Pin It

1 comment:

Kate said...

Feel better soon, Dawn. I hate that you're feeling so sick. Glad it isn't pneumonia though.

Praying for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Scraps by Jessica's "Veronica" kit.