Monday, 12 July 2010

Twas the first day of camp

and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except me, crying my eyes out!

Mom's taxi was a busy place this morning! Luckily, Boy Oneder now has a ride to summer school in the mornings with his friend's Mom, in exchange for Hubster or I picking them up after school. So, Boy Oneder didn't need a ride this morning.

Our first stop was to drop off Middleman at soccer camp. He is there from 9:00 to 4:00 all this week. He was really excited about it and trotted off happily to meet his teamates.

Threepeat, on the other hand, was not so happy about preschool this morning. He started last night, saying that he didn't like school and didn't want to go today. We talked about it a little bit and it turns out, just as I suspected, he loves everything except naptime. From 12:00 to 2:00 it's naptime at preschool and all the kids have little cots to lie on. The blinds are shut, the lights are turned off and all is quiet in the school. Now...anyone who knows Threepeat, knows that quiet is not his strong point. Nor is lying still or resting. This is a problem.

When we dropped him off this morning, he wanted to be carried. Hubster told me to stay in the van while he took Threepeat in. Halfway across the parking lot, I could see Threepeat begging Hubster to pick him up and Hubster was refusing, saying he would hold his hand. Threepeat started to cry. Eventually, Hubster softened up and carried him in, while I watched from the silent safety of the van, tears welling up in my eyes. A few minutes later, Hubster emerged, alone. He said that everything was OK and that Threepeat wasn't crying. Sigh...

I came home to the quiet house and then it set it...the guilt. I know that this is such a good thing for him. I know he LOVES being with the other kids and playing with all the toys. I know he loves the songs and the activities. But, he hates two hours of his day. He dreads it. Those two hours are making it difficult for him to enjoy the rest of the day.

So, I just called the school.

I spoke to the supervisor, who I have known since 2002 because her children go to the same school as Boy Oneder and Middleman. She is lovely. I explained exactly what I just typed above. I explained that I understand his need for rest (and that of the other kids and teachers), but that he really, REALLY doesn't like rest time. She said that she was going to speak to his teachers today about allowing him to do a quiet activity on his bed, rather than lie there in the dark, hating every second of this "punishment". I told you she was lovely. I'm sure that eventually, he will fall asleep...two hours is a long time to be sitting on a little cot playing with a quiet activity, but at least now, he won't have to just lie there thinking and being sad.

Hopefully, this will change. We are, afterall, only on week two (and just day 4) of his new preschool. I am sure eventually he will adjust. I hope so anyway.

As parents, we try to do what's right for our kids and I know this is right. But seeing him suffer through the adjustment period sucks. Ugh...parenthood. Pin It

1 comment:

Lisa said...

it's great that they listened to you, did he feel better about it after the day??

I can't imagine if my kids were made to do that with other kids. mine won't even shut down if all three of them are in the room for truly quiet quiet time. I could see 20 minutes but 2 hours is a really long time for a kid who isn't the type to just fall asleep as soon as they lay down.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Scraps by Jessica's "Veronica" kit.